“You are coming to Christ, who is the living cornerstone of God’s temple. He was rejected by people, but he was chosen by God for great honor. And you are living stones that God is building into his spiritual temple. What’s more, you are holy priests. Through the mediation of Jesus Christ, you offer spiritual sacrifices that please God.”1 Peter 2:4-5, NLT
Not long after we set out to return to Papua New Guinea to finish translation of the Somau Garia New Testament, I sat down and ran through a little exercise . I wrote vision, mission, and strategy statements. I’ve written many over the years, whether starting a new ministry and taking one in a new direction. My Primary Strategy statement is actually my Primary Strategy word: prayer. We do lots of activity in relation to obeying the call to return to PNG, but our primary strategy is solely prayer.
Your Place in this Strategy
This puts those of you who choose to pray with us in an honored and challenging position then, doesn’t it? You’re faithfulness in prayer is a foundation stone of this ministry. Jesus himself lives forever to intercede for us and He rightly holds the place of the chief and only cornerstone. Since prayer is the central, the only strategy that has any lasting value, our participation in it is absolutely vital.
It seems then that this foundational activity is all the more effective if our prayer is focused, aligned with God’s purposes for it, established upon the chief cornerstone–Jesus. Prayer begins with assigning worth to God for his character and his deeds. It proceeds to a heartfelt gratitude to Him and flows into intercession and petition.
As you pray:
- Thank God for faithfully pruning, cleaning, and preparing his servants–that we all might be more fruitful.
- Thank God for providing.
- Thank God for putting people and events in motion that will culminate in the Somau Garia people having access to the Word of God in their heart language.
- Ask God to open doors that cannot be closed.
- Ask God to bring to fruition his purposes for this season of ministry and life.
- Ask God to provide for getting back on the field and actively involved in translation.
- Ask God to protect us from harm as we proceed toward the goal of our faith.
- Ask God to protect, provide for, and ignite passion within the hearts of the people working on the Somau Garia translation.